On February 15, 1852, Arthur Denny (1822-1899), Carson Boren (1824-1912), and William Bell (1817-1887) select Donation Land claim sites on the eastern portion of Elliott Bay. Most of the original settlers relocate from the settlement of “New York” on Alki Beach in April, and name their new community Duwamps (or Dewamps). This event marks the beginning of the development of Seattle.
Denny had borrowed his wife’s clothesline and tied a weight to it to take soundings of Elliott Bay. The settlers decided to take the area that became downtown Seattle, which included the most level portion of the south bay. They began relocating their families in April 1852, leaving Charles and Lee Terry to tend their “New York Store” on Alki Point.
Clarence Bagley, History of Seattle (Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1916); History of King County, Washington (Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1929); Murray Morgan, Skid Road, An Informal Portrait of Seattle (New York: Viking Press, 1951).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You